Sean is an experienced commercial lawyer with over 20 years in transactional and litigation experience.
He works mainly in commercial matters including conveyancing, estates, employment and commercial litigation.
Sean has a keen interest in singing and most sports. He came to Albury /Wodonga in 2010 after working in Wagga Wagga for 10 years, having previously worked and studied in Sydney and Canberra. He loves spending time with his family, including his 2 sons who study medical science at the University of Melbourne.
Sean has appeared numerous times in the Federal Courts, Supreme Courts of NSW and Victoria and most Tribunals including the Fair Work Commission, NCAT, VCAT and the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.
Areas of expertise
Sean has been engaged on numerous property transactions for either the vendor or purchaser. Often those transactions included the giving or taking of security, such as a mortgage over land, a lease of business equipment or a charge over a company.
Sean’s clients have included banks, finance companies, investors, private lenders and SMEs.
A major focus of Sean’s expertise is in the area of rural acquisitions, equipment leasing and other kinds of secured transactions: These have:
- been for both private and public entities,
- involved either a principal funder or wholesale borrower,
- involved IT hardware, software and service contracts, as well as mining equipment, office goods and motor vehicles, and
- been implemented by limited recourse loans, principal & agent agreements, master rental programs, sales of receivables/factoring transactions, and other funding techniques.
Sean’s overall commercial expertise includes perfecting security under the Personal Property Securities Act (“PPSA”). He has also had experience advising on international trade transactions, including dispute resolution via the International Commercial Arbitration Tribunal.
Commercial and Business Law
Sean’s commercial and business service offerings include acting on the sale and purchase of companies, shares and businesses, drawing up contracts for shareholder, joint venture and supply agreements, advising on related aspects of trust law.
Sean has also acted for a wide variety of registered clubs and other Not-For Profit entities on their commercial contracts and constitutional matters. Sean has advised on the Registered Clubs Act and on transfers of poker or gaming machine entitlements (‘PMEs’).
Corporate Dispute Resolution
Sean has conducted negotiations and settlements of shareholder and inter-corporate disagreements and disputes. Sean has also advised clients in more formal mediation conferences involving not just the disputing parties but impartial mediators. Sean’s dispute resolutions skills extend over the entirety of the pre-litigation stage up to the commencement of court proceedings.
Select examples of Sean’s finance experience include:
- Estate Litigation including Construction of Wills and Family Provision.
- Commercial Litigation in Partnership disputes
- Corporation disputes including Competition and Consumer Act disputes.
- Mediation, Conciliation and Arbitration.
- Employment Contracts and Letters of Offer.
- Succession Planning for Farm / Rural and Commercial Clients
Sean was awarded a Bachelor of Economics (B. Ec) from the University of NSW and Bachelor of Laws (LLB) from the Australian National University.
Sean lectures at Charles Sturt University and La Trobe University on Commercial Transactions, the Law of Business Organisations and Dispute Resolution.